How to Choose an Engagement Ring for Her
It’s an important decision for a few reasons.
First, of course you want her to be wowed by the ring. Whether it’s a solitaire round diamond ring or a halo oval diamond ring; it’s got to be something that’s both beautiful and beautifully aligned with her taste and style. This is a symbol of your love and commitment that she will treasure for the rest of her life.
Secondly, It’s a major decision because of the financial implications. With engagement rings as anything in life, there is a cost associated with quality. You will want the ring you buy to be both well made and in excellent condition. And to buy the best quality engagement ring for your set budget.
So, how to choose an engagement ring for her?
1. Focus on her style
2. Set a budget
3. Consider every aspect of the engagement ring
1. Focus on Her Style First
Before you get caught up in looking at rings, look at her instead. What do you notice about her jewelry? Is it yellow gold? White gold? Some other metal? Does she favor subtle jewelry or big, bold pieces that make a statement? And, does her jewelry tend to have a particular “look”? Is it especially modern? Noticeably retro? Or maybe she prefers more classic styles?
You don’t have to be a jewelry expert to at least start to get a sense of what she likes. Maybe take some pictures of her jewelry. Then, if you’re not particularly knowledgeable about styles, you can show the pictures to someone who is and get their impressions.
Another tactic is to talk with her friends. They probably have a good sense of what she likes and doesn’t like in rings. Whatever you do, be sure to write down everything your research uncovers. It can be hard to recall the details as you prepare to actually purchase the ring.
Engagement Rings For Every Style
We have put together some of our favorite and most popular engagement ring styles. Choose the perfect engagement ring for her depending on her style.
2. Set a Budget
It is important to set a budget that you are comfortable with when buying the engagement ring. While some might say that you should stick to the 2-3 month salary rule, the reality is that you should set whatever budget you are comfortable with and is realistic. Buying a diamond engagement ring is like buying any other luxury item. It’s easy to get swept up in the moment and commit to a little more (or a lot more) than you had bargained for.
Luckily, there are affordable payment plans for many engagement rings. At Gemma, we offer monthly payment plans to help you buy the engageement ring of her dreams without breaking the bank.
3. Consider every aspect of the engagement ring
When it’s time to start shopping for an engagement ring, here are some considerations to guide your selection:
● Diamond shape is arguably the most important feature. Here’s where an understanding of her personal style will be especially helpful. The traditional bride will likely favor a timeless round solitaire diamond ring. If her style is modern, a geometric princess cut or emerald cut is a good option. If you think she would like something more unique, then opt for a heart shape or a marquise cut diamond.
● The setting plays a key role in the overall look of a ring. There are many options for the metal framework in which the stone is mounted. And, those options can accentuate a specific style or help to moderate it. For example, a trendy oval stone can be reeled in a bit with a more conservative four-prong setting. Or you can make the center stone look considerably larger by adding a halo of diamonds. Whereas a pave band will add additional sparkle and glamour.
● There are many metals to choose from. For example, gold comes in many hues, including the traditional yellow gold, white and rose. Another popular metal is platinum. It is exceptionally durable and very pure, making it hypoallergenic and a great choice for a woman with sensitive skin. Palladium is a beautiful metal with a slightly more gray hue than platinum.
● You can buy a loose stone to have made into a ring. If you would like a more customized ring, simply choose one of our loose diamonds and the setting that you would like to pair it with. Allowing you to create a fully customized, one-of-a-kind piece for her. Email firstname.lastname@example.org today and our concierge team will be happy to assist you.
● Only buy from a reputable source. Where to buy an engagement ring safely is an important consideration. Always look to buy certified diamonds from established brands with an A+ Better Business Bureau rating and satsified customer reviews.
● Know how the expected delivery time fits into your plans. If you’re having a ring custom made or are ordering online, be sure you find out how soon you’ll have it. If the ring won’t arrive until after you’ve left for that romantic getaway where you intend to propose, you’ve got a problem!
● Get the report. A ring with a diamond of one carat or more should come with a diamond grading report from an independent authority like the GIA or American Gem Society. The report will provide a number of details about the diamond including its 4 Cs (Color, Clarity, Cut, Carat Weight).
Browse our extensive array of new and pre-owned engagement rings, including rings from luxury brands such as Tiffany and Cartier. At up to 80% off retail prices and each ring in excellent condition and authenticated by our team of experts, so that you know that you are getting the best quality engagement ring at the best possible price.