HOW TO BUY
Most Affordable Diamond Shape
Diamond lovers know that there are endless diamond shapes to select from. From the classic round to the playful pear, there is a diamond cut to suit style. But which diamond shape is the most affordable? Keep reading as we rank the most affordable diamond shapes and show you where you can shop for beautiful diamonds of all shapes at unbeatable prices.
What are the most affordable diamond shapes?
Below are the top ten most popular diamond shapes ranked from most to least affordable:
1. Cushion: Named for its soft, pillow-like appearance, cushion diamonds are square with rounded corners.
2. Princess: One of the most popular fancy shaped diamonds with a modern, square shape and pointed corners.
3. Marquise: Marquise diamonds have an elongated oval shape with curved sides and two pointed ends.
4. Radiant: These square shaped diamonds have trimmed corners that are less prone to damage, making them a popular alternative to princess diamonds.
5. Heart: This romantic diamond shape is shaped like a love heart, with two symmetrical curves and a pointed bottom.
6. Asscher: Asschers are another square diamond shape with cropped corners, however what sets them apart from radiant and cushion diamonds are their step-cuts which create a mirror like effect.
7. Pear: Known for their teardrop shape, pear diamonds are a unique combination of round and marquise diamonds with a round bottom and narrow, pointed end.
8. Emerald: Not to be mistaken for the green gemstone, emeralds are rectangular, art deco style diamonds with step-cuts.
9. Oval: These diamonds are a modern take on rounds, fashioned with a flattering oval shape.
10. Round: The most timeless diamond shape is also the most expensive because of its exceptional brilliance, high market demand and because it yields less when cut from a piece of rough than other shapes.
Top 3 Most affordable diamond shapes
Let’s take a closer look at the top 3 most affordable diamond shapes:
1. Cushion: Ranking number one as the most affordable diamond shape, cushion cut diamonds are a great choice for an elegant yet price conscious purchase. Price savvy brides adore cushion cut diamonds and this elegant shape has been experiencing a serious revival in popularity over the last few years. The cushion’s larger facets allow light to efficiently travel throughout the diamond creating a captivating sparkle. And as the most popular diamond shape during the 1800s and early 1900s, they offer a vintage vibe. Older cushion diamonds have 57 facets while newer cushions boast 64 facets. Best of all, thanks to its soft, rounded edges you never having to worry about any sharp corners getting chipped.
2. Princess: Not only are princess cut diamonds one of the most popular fancy diamond shapes, they are also one of the most affordable. Princess cut diamonds are so affordable because less raw diamond needs to be removed during the cutting process to make this shape. These square diamonds boast a modern, geometric style and glamorous sparkle. Be sure to get a princess diamond whose prongs cover its pointed corners to protect them from any accidental chipping.
3. Marquise: This playful diamond shape is rumored to be named after the lips of Marquise de Pompadour, the mistress of King Louis XV. Also known as navette, which means “little ship” in French, the marquise’s long curved body and pointed ends effortlessly elongate the wearer’s fingers. Due to its elongated shape, marquise diamonds look larger than round diamonds of the same carat weight, allowing you to purchase a sizeable diamond without draining your wallet.
How to buy affordable diamonds
The single best way to buy affordable diamonds is to shop pre-owned. Why? Because while pre-owned diamonds and jewelry do not look any different from their new counterparts, they are available at a fraction of the retail price. Not only is shopping for pre-owned diamonds a financially savvy option, it is also incredibly environmentally friendly. Buying pre-owned diamonds ensures that you do not contribute to environmental damage caused by diamond and gold mining, all while extending the life of an existing diamond.
At Gemma by WP Diamonds, we sell a wide array of pre-owned diamonds and diamond jewelry at up to 80% off retail prices. Shop loose diamonds as well as beloved brands such as Tiffany & Co., Van Cleef & Arpels, Harry Winston and much more. With savings like these, affording your next favorite piece of diamond jewelry has never been easier. To make your next diamond purchase even more affordable, we offer easy monthly payments with our partner Affirm, free US shipping and a 14-day return policy.